Friday, October 23, 2009

When You Don’t Know What To Pray

Last year, God called me to prayer. I know that this probably sounds strange coming from someone who accepted Christ as a young child. Prayer is a staple of the Christian life, right? Well, I guess that I must be pretty thick-headed because I had to be specifically called to pray. I will spare you all of the details, but suffice it to say that when God calls you to do something, He always provides the necessary tools.

God provided me with an amazing mentor in prayer, and she and I began a study titled "Prayer Portions" by Sylvia Gunter. This study has ministered to me immensely, and I have no doubt that one reason God gave this gift to me was to help prepare me for "such a time as this."

When I received the news of Baby's condition last week, I could barely complete a sentence. I thought that the tears would never stop flowing, and I had no words to pray other than, "Lord, please let this cup pass from me." Unbeknownst to me, my precious mentor contacted Sylvia Gunter to share our struggle, and Sylvia responded by praying the following truths over me and Tom, which have greatly encouraged my heart:


  • God is sovereign. All authority, all power is His. Matthew 28:18.

  • Nothing takes Him by surprise. All circumstances are His servants. He knows the end from the beginning. Psalm 119:91, Isaiah 46:9-10.

  • His word is forever settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89.

  • Romans 8:28-29 is still in our Bible. He does all things for our good and His glory, to conform us to the likeness of Jesus.

  • There is no circumstance, person, place, or time that the blood of Jesus does not cover. The one who spared not His own Son will freely give us all His best things. Romans 8:31-32.

  • He promises that He is for us and nothing can separate us from His love. That was settled on the cross. Romans 8:35–39.

  • His lovingkindness never ceases. His compassions never fail. They are new every morning. His faithfulness is great. Lamentations 3:22–23.

  • He supplies all our needs by His riches in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19.

  • He knows and cares. The very hairs of our head are numbered. Matthew 10:30.

  • He promises that He is God of all comfort, Father of mercies. 2 Corinthians 1:3–4.

  • He is able to supply His abundant grace to us in this situation, so that in all things, at all times, we have all of His sufficient grace we need for encouragement and hope. 2 Corinthians 9:8.

  • He is able to show His perfect power in our weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9–10.

  • We can know with certainty that He is able to guard what we have entrusted to Him. 2 Timothy 1:12.

  • He promises that He is our strength, our shield, our strong tower, our refuge, our hope, our joy, our peace, our everything, our all. Psalm 18:1–3, Colossians 3:11b.

  • He promises to renew our strength as we wait on Him. Isaiah 40:31.

  • He promises that He never leaves us nor forsakes us. He is with us, a very present help. Hebrews 13:5–6.

  • He never goes back on a promise. Joshua 21:45.

  • He has a heart that tears can touch and invites us to climb up in the Father’s lap and just cry. Hebrews 4:15, Psalms 56:8.

  • He gives gladness instead of mourning and praise instead of fainting. Weeping endures for a night, but He gives the joy that comes in the morning. Isaiah 61:3, Psalm 30:5.

  • He is enthroned on the praises of His children. Psalm 22:3.

  • When we lift Him up continually in a sacrifice of praise, we glorify Him in this situation in the here-and ­now. John 12:28a.

4 comments:

  1. Amen, Rachael, Amen. Beautifully said and doctrinally right on. Thank you for sharing these wondrous thoughts. I love you. Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. what beautiful promises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Rachael, thanks for these reminders. You are ministering to so many of us during this troubling time. We appreciate you and lift you up before the Father of Lights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachael, I dont know you but I loved falling on your blog and am reprinting on my blog. It is such a Powerful blog on prayer. Thank you for sharing. I hope you dont mind the reprinting. http://juliannajeremy.blogspot.com/

    I pray for you and your family this week. Your child is in the Loving hands of the Lord. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete