Monday, February 15, 2010

To My Valentine

I’ve hijacked my valentine’s blog to honor her with a letter of encouragement, respect, and love.

Reference:
Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. Proverbs 31:25
Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also... Proverbs 31:28


Rachael,

I’ve thought about what I should say to you this Valentine’s Day and Proverbs 31:25 seemed to me an appropriate verse for this year. Your body has changed over the last 8 months and the new clothes you’ve had to wear seem to all be made with the same interwoven fabrics: strength and dignity. The weight of circumstances you have faced in the last few months would make grown men crumble to their knees, but you, my dear, are strong. The aura of dignity that goes before you has strengthened my faith and the faith of so many others. As we portray a certain image by the clothes we wear I have to say that your fashion is heavenly.

The future is something mysterious because we have no control over it and we do not know if tomorrow will bring joy or sorrow. The next few weeks will bring some of the most difficult circumstances of our lives but whether they are filled with joy or sorrow I see a smile on your face. This isn’t a shallow or pretend smile that just thinks everything is going to be alright. This isn’t a smile that is detached from the reality of suffering. Your smile is different. You smile at the uncertainty of the future that would press upon you fear, anxiety, and hopelessness. You smile at this because you are grounded in the steadfast love of our God.

Your strength, dignity, and hope in the steadfast love of God causes your family to rise up and call you blessed.

Love- Tommy, Benjamin, Caleb, and David

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, my sweet husband. Your words bring me to tears. I am incredibly grateful that God has given you to me. Your daily prayers over me have strengthened me and encouraged me more than you will ever know. You are a gift, and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tommy's words echo what those who love you are feeling. Since he said it much more sweetly and with much more of his heart involved, then it is all the more precious. Tommy, Rachael, Benjamin, Caleb and David...you are all precious beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not know you and you do not know me, but you are in my prayers....you are my family in Christ Jesus, and your blog encourages me beyond words. I do not have a special needs child but my best friend does. She is not a believer, I am her only Christ she sees....I fail so many times trying to encourage her thru His Word but none the less I will continue. Your story moves me and I crave to grow in Christ as you are....May God's arms hold you all tightly as only HE can:)

    ReplyDelete