Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Kiss of Affliction

This past week Matt Chandler, a prominent young pastor of a growing Dallas church, had surgery to remove a brain tumor after he collapsed at home on Thanksgiving morning. Chandler has significantly influenced Tom and me over the past couple of years, and he continues to encourage us in this trial. In response to the news of his tumor, he said, "There is this part of me that is so grateful that the Lord counted me worthy for this." These are my sentiments exactly.

Words are inadequate to describe the great love that the Father has shown me in this trial over the past 8 weeks. It has been completely overwhelming. Though the first taste was bitter, the mercy and grace that the Father has lavishly poured out has been so sweet. While I have cried many tears of sadness, I have also cried many tears of joy at the realization of the magnitude of the Father's great love for me ... that He would count me worthy to endure this trial and to be loved by Him with such intensity.

Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you (I Peter 4:12). Do not be afraid, but take courage. Trust your Heavenly Father and the great love that He has for you as His child. "The clouds ye so much dread are big with mercy and shall break in blessings on your head. His purposes will ripen fast, unfolding every hour. The bud may have a bitter taste, but sweet will be the flower." ~ William Cowper

George Mueller, a great man of faith, read Psalm 119:68 at his wife's funeral, "Thou art good, and doest good." The basis of his message was that God was good to give him his wife, God was good to give them many years together, and God was good in taking her from him. He said, "I will miss her in numberless ways, but I continually kiss the hand that afflicts me." Mueller could say this with integrity because He knew the intimate love of His Heavenly Father.

I kiss the hand that afflicts me because it is the sweetest hand of all.

3 comments:

  1. What an awesome post, Rachael. Please know that even when there are no words, I am continuing to pray for you through this extremely difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woe. What a powerful post. Thank you for sharing this, Rachael. The Lord really spoke to me in this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered David his baby blanket.Someone asked Why? My answer was (He is no different than my other grandchildren!)He is my 7th grandchild.I have given all of my grandchildren a special blanket with their name on it.Why should this be any different?When I received David`s blanket it seemed as though there was a dark cloud hanging over my head.My thoughts suddenly went back to SUFFERING BY GRACE.Your strengh makes Tom`s and my jouney to our grandson`s birth comforting.If you decided not to put your thoughts into words God`s arms he has outstretched for our family might not have been felt in the same way.Tommy,Benjamin,Caleb,David and you are LOVED so deeply that I find it hard to express in words.Psalms 91:4 "He will cover you with his feathers,and under his wings you will find refuge;his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."This verse helped in different times in life.I love David without seeing him.I would like to thank everyone who has blogged on SUFFING BY GRACE.I read everyones comments and it does help to know you are praying for Rachael and Tommy.Thank you Rachael for your beautiful words.I am looking forward to having my family this weekend! Always Praying For You and Tommy,Love Mom

    ReplyDelete